Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weekend Sanctuary!

I have been looking forward to the weekend since Monday, and I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a lot of sleeping in, laying around, and spending some much needed quality time with the hubby. In between tho, I am able to get some sewing done! That's right, sewing. I recently bought a sewing machine and busted it out yesterday for the first time. My first attempt at making anything was this sad little brown rectangular pillow. I made it just to see if I could actually operate the machine, and since it was looking a little like a rectangular turd, i embroidered a little pink heart on it. It's lumpy, boring, and slightly mishapen, but for my first time sewing since I was 12, I think it turned out better than expected.


But today, I moved on to bigger and better things with the sewing machine. I made a chair cushion cover. I have this old wooden swivel desk chair that I inherited from my friend Kristen, and it also came with a ragged old blue cushion. So, I found this awesome fabric on clearance ($1/yard!!), and used part of it to cover up the yucky cushion. It looks great with the vintage style of the chair. Plus, it is easily removeable because I put a velcro flap on it, so I can change it later on if I decide to make others. This sewing project was much more successful, as long as you don't look at some of the seams too closely. Hooray!

And is crochet news, I broke down and started to make the round ripple baby blanket for my sister in law. It'll be white and green, since I still dont know the sex of the baby, but it's nice cuz I already had the yarn lying around anyway. Right now I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, but I'll post finished photos if it actually gets that far!! Happy weekend!

No comments: